Sunday, September 27, 2009

Best Breakfast Before, During, and After Pregnancy

Help! I’m pregnant! What do I eat for breakfast that won’t make me nauseous, is quick to make, won’t pack on pounds, and will give me energy to keep going all morning? In my practice as a nutritionist, this is a common question for my Hot Mamas- To Be. My recipe for Protein Oatmeal has always been my answer. It has a balance of fiber, good carbohydrates, brain healthy fat, and quality protein. This makes it the perfect breakfast in my book! The balance of carbs/protein/fat will keep you satisfied all morning long. This recipe makes two servings, but you can double or triple it and keep it in the fridge for those mornings where you are pressed for time.

Protein Oatmeal (Apples and Cinnamon)

2/3 cups slow cooking oatmeal

¾ cups water

2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

2 medium apples cored and diced

2 tbl. Cinnamon powder

1-cup vanilla soy, coconut, or almond milk

2 tsp. ground flaxseeds

1-tablespoon natural cane sugar or stevia

1tsp. sea salt (optional)

Bring water and soy milk to a boil, add oats, sea salt, and apples and stir. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add cinnamon, flaxseeds and protein powder, and cane sugar. Stir and divide into two servings. (Approx. 300 cals)



No comments:

Post a Comment